PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

17 October, 2009

♥ Crazy Love ♥

This morning, I helped throw a shower for one of the girls in my small group. Yay for weddings! In my card, I told her that I hoped she and her soon-to-be husband found the happiness that Joe and I share in our marriage. As she was leaving (and after everyone else had left), she told me it was cute and funny that I wrote that in her card and that only I could say something like that. Ok, she didn't say those exact words, but close enough.

I was thinking earlier about how many people find it interesting that Joe and I are so in love...still. I always assumed that married couples loved each other like Joe and I do. Yes, we are still new to this whole marriage thing, but it doesn't always feel that way. Honestly, our first year of marriage hasn't been all that difficult unless you count the months that Joe was out of work. That was tough financially, but it wasn't that hard on our marriage. Apparently, not everyone else thinks the way I do. I know I wrote about marriage not too long ago, but it still shocks me when people are surprised about my own relationship. People tell me that Joe and I have a different relationship than most people. I don't think we do. I think a lot of people have a relationship like ours, or one that started that way.

I just don't understand why it's so shocking that I love my husband. I mean, that's why people get married, right? So, what's the big deal? He's my best friend. I may not have realized that until we'd been dating for a while, but it's as true now as it was then. Everyone told me that the first year of marriage is the hardest and that it's a huge adjustment. This was (and is) not quite true for us. The hardest adjustment was sleeping with s
omeone else in the bed. I never really liked sharing the bed, so that was an adjustment. Sure, it was a little weird not having parents in the same house, but at the same time it just felt right. I thought since I moved so far away from the home I'd known for the last 20 years, I'd be homesick like crazy. And I was, occasionally.

This last year has been the best year of my life. It's had its ups and downs, but through it all, I had my best friend to cheer me up when I was dow
n and laugh and be crazy with during the good times. Why is that so weird? Someone asked me this week if, when I went to visit Joe for graduation, he got on my nerves. First of all, I hadn't seen him in 10 weeks, so how could he?! Second of all, he rarely gets on my nerves when he is here! Yes, he does drive me a little crazy on occasion and yes, we do fight from time to time. I'm not saying our relationship is perfect, because it's not. What I'm saying is, I love my husband no matter what. He can drive me crazy, he can do things that infuriate me, he can forget to do things, but after all that he's still my husband, my best friend, my love. What's so wrong with being in love?{Before my best friend was also my husband =) Yes, we are crazy, and haven't changed!}

No comments: