PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

29 October, 2013

Little Things are Big Things, Too

Before Charlotte's nap this afternoon, she did one of the sweetest things ever. It wasn't big. It wasn't even as sweet as hearing her say "lub yoo" before bed. But for some reason, it just struck me. 

I finished reading her favorite pre-bedtime/naptime book, and she put her hands over her eyes, then removed them and said, "peek-a-boo!" (Which often sounds more like "book-a-boo", but is way cuter than saying it correctly, anyway. :)) 

Then, she put her hands over my eyes and played peek-a-boo for a few minutes.

It was just so sweet! And seeing her sweet little face light up was just priceless. 

So often I forget to share these little things that happen. It's not that things like this never happen in our house. It's that they happen, I enjoy them, and then we go on about our day. 

I read something today (can't remember where now) that I guess you could say inspired me to share more of the "little" things in life. Because if I don't share it...I'm likely to forget. And these days? These days when my baby (soon to be babies!) is little....I don't want to forget. I don't want to forget the unsolicited hugs, cuddles, and slobbery kisses. I don't want to forget the shouts of "hooray!" when she does something and gets excited. I don't want to forget the seemingly non-stop cries of "mommy, mommy, mommy!" I don't want to forget the way she imitates me - from putting on my shoes, to carrying one of my purses, to using a broken flat iron to "fix" her own hair.


Though these things may be little in the midst of a busy day or week, that doesn't make them less important. If anything, it makes them more important. 

Charlotte is one of the biggest and best blessings in my life, though being a mama is often trying. But I know when I look back in 10 or 20 years, I won't be remembering the diapers, tantrums, and sleepless nights. I'll remember the little things that made being a mama of a little one sweet.

No comments: