13 March, 2010


Is what I am right now. I think I let go of my denial and came back to reality. The reality that we missed the ginormous window for Jasper to not be quarantined. =( Now, I am sad.

My precious baby puppy will either have to be stuck by himself in a lonely kennel like the one we rescued him from over a year ago quarantined for up to 120 days or we're going to have to find someone who will keep him until he is allowed to come to Hawaii...and have him fly to Hawaii all by himself!!! I am not liking having to make this decision. I was hoping there would be a way around it, but I haven't found one yet. Not to mention that I feel absolutely horrible for not having taken care of this earlier. With my luck, though, if I had started this process back in January like I should have, his orders would have been changed and I would have done all this junk for nothing. *sigh* What's a girl to do? Oh, did I mention that all this comes out of our pocket? I have to take him to the vet, he has to get another rabies shot, and he has to have blood work done. Thank goodness he already has a microchip. That would be more trauma for him. Oh, and if we were to allow him to be quarantined for 120 days, the price tag is $1,080+. Goodbye, paycheck, it was nice to have met you.

 My precious puppy the night we brought him home. =)

Such a big boy now! I don't wanna leave him!

I'm freaking out and kicking myself for not doing this sooner. I wish I could blame Joe for telling me not to because his orders could be changed, but I can't. This one's totally on me. I don't want to have him quarantined, and I don't want him to have to fly over the Pacific all by himself. So what the heck am I supposed to do?! Any advice?



JG said...

Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry! I really hope you find a way to work this out that is easy on mommy, puppy and wallet!

Amber said...

Oh sweetie! I don't know what I would do if that happened to one of my puppies! I hope everything turns out to be okay. Keep the faith!

Just a Girl said...

Aw, I'm sorry =( I hope everything turns out okay!

Christen Krumm said...

I'll take him and then you can fly me to Hawaii?? :) haha! Could you maybe try to find a foster organization? Not sure if there is one or if it is pricey, but it might work???

Good luck!


Jes said...

I have no advice as I've never PCS'd with a pet before, but if it makes you feel just a tiny bit better, this has motivated me to get the ball rolling to get things squared away so our dog can travel with us to Japan in Oct and not be quarantined!

I hope you find a solution that makes it easier on everyone!

Mrs P said...

Oh no poor baby! Maybe someone will fly with him? I'm sure you've got to know SOMEONE who wants to visit Hawaii! Good luck hun

Jes said...

Hey, I commented when you 1st posted this and have found out some info that you may be interested in. Apparently, your house is considered "quarantine" in the states and, at least in Japan, if you live on post, your house on post is considered quarantine as well. It may be the same in Hawaii. You may already know this, but if not, I would ask at the vet!