25 September, 2013

Me & GD

It's officially official [again]:

       I have Gestational Diabetes. {GD, for short.}

At my last OB appointment, I had to take the 1 hr glucose test. Something every pregnant woman looks forward to, right? Hahaha! It's not really the worst thing in the world, but it's definitely no picnic either. Fortunately my experience this time around wasn't so bad. When the lab tech took my blood, I was told that the results would be in the next day and no phone call would basically mean all is well.

Naturally, when 5PM rolled around the following day, I was ecstatic! No GD this time! I can eat ALL THE CARBS without feeling guilty! Woohoo! Thursday rolled around, which meant so many yummy snacks at PWOC. I celebrated by sampling, um...a lot...of the options. (Come on. You know you'd do the same!)

Later that day as I was cooking dinner, the phone rang. It was a number I didn't recognize, but it was local so I answered. It was my OB's nurse, and the news wasn't good. I failed the 1 hr test. It wasn't exactly a surprise, but I was still taken aback. I think it's only normal considering it took them 48 hours to let me know. You'd think that having a history of GD would prompt them to call me a little quicker with the results. Anyway, I did get upset about it. I had thought I was fine - that I wouldn't have to prick myself 4 times a day from here to Millie's birth day. I wouldn't have to count every carb, or try to find something I could eat if we went out to dinner. Pregnancy hormones being what they are - and doing what they do - I broke down and cried.

After talking with my bestie and my MIL, I decided to give my OB a call the next day and beg out of the 3 hr glucose test. If you've taken it before, you know that this test is far worse than the 1 hr. You have to fast after midnight, go in early and drink that sickeningly sweet drink, and then endure 3 blood draws - each 1 hour apart. When I did this with Charlotte I almost passed out twice. The lab techs had problems drawing my blood, and I really just felt awful the entire time. I really didn't want to repeat this experience....and with my husband out in the field. Thankfully, my OB is awesome and allowed me to test my sugar at home this week. 

After finding out I failed the 1 hr test, I decided to get back on the low carb train. As a result, my blood sugar has been nearly perfect. So this is me....accepting that I have GD once again. It's not exactly fun (my fingers are already killing me!), but it's not the end of the world either. I've also noticed that I have quite a bit more energy than I did before. I know that this is due in large part to my blood sugar levels...and all those stinkin' carbs I had been eating. Now, I do still feel tired throughout the day - that's just pregnancy for you. (Not to mention wrangling a toddler!) But I can tell that I feel able to do more and that's a big deal. I honestly kind of hate that I didn't realize this before. I mean, you'd think that someone who had been down this road once before would recognize the signs/symptoms. I hate to think what it did to my little baby's pancreas, too. (Theirs will produce more insulin to keep their sugar where it should be...which isn't a good thing!) 

This is my life: giving myself "ouchies" 4x a day. Le sigh.

There's nothing I can do to change it now, though, so I try not to worry. As long as I can keep my sugar under control with diet, I will be happy! That was my goal once I was diagnosed with it last time, and that's my goal this time as well. I'm not a fan of carb-counting, but I know it's for the best and it's definitely a healthy way of eating and living. 

So, here's to having GD for a second time...and kicking its butt! ;-)

No comments: